Monday, January 30, 2006

As I sat back in my chambers in front of the roaring fire, sipping a tumbler of warm cognac and thinking about how much I enjoyed my evening with Vampirella, my thoughts wondered to how Gaia and Cable's date was going.

I had made arrangements for them to see the hit Broadway show Spamalot and then engage an intimate dinner at the fashionable Tavern on the Green restaurant in Central Park. True the show is sold out, but I have a lot of friends who owe me big favors. Okay, the manager of the theater is a mutant code named Pitch Perfect. He has the ability to determine exactly what pitch someone is singing in. Actually, he can identify any sound that way. He gets it perfect, every time. Truthfully, it's really not really a very useful power. That's why he's not one of the X-Men. Not all mutants are cut out to be super-heroes. Hence his career in the private sector.

I decided to "eavesdrop" on the date telepathically. Just to make sure everything was alright. The musical was already over and the two had just sat down to dinner.

"That show was so funny!" said Gaia brightly.

"Oh yeah!" Cable replied. "That song 'Run Away' was hilarious. That Tim Curry is great!"

"And that 'Brave Sir Robin' bit with David Hyde Pierce . . I couldn't stop laughing!"

"Excuse me," said the waiter with a smile. "Are you ready to order?"

"Um, I think so," said Cable. "Let's see. I guess we can have, well, the um, maybe . ."

I should stop here just to explain in Cable's defense that he is from a rather harsh, desolate future and he has not had a lot of experience dining out. For that matter, neither has Gaia. The whole ordering food thing can be a rather awkward moment, one that takes practice to master. Fortunately for both of them, the moment was interrupted.

" . . the, um, steak? How would you like -"

Just then a giant metal foot crashed through the glass roof of the restaurant. Then, out of the night sky, a giant metal fist reached down and scooped up Cable. It was a Sentinel! Four full grown Brood warriors swarmed down it's arm and spilled into the chaos that had erupted in the dining hall. They moved to attack Gaia.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

A Sentinel, I knew it!

It was either that or one of those other things.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Captain Berk said...

The amount of times i've had a perfectly good mating session ruined by an emergency numbers exactly 14.

14!

Goes with turf I guess. Thank god for the perks (ordering people about)

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no!!! Always when your on a date someone has got to come and spoil it

11:58 AM  
Blogger Vegeta said...

You know it's things like this that make me wonder how anyone ever gets born, when you can't get past the first date without some monster or android interrupting to attack.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

That sort of thing is always going to ruin a date.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Master Yoda said...

Maybe the Sentinels coming Gaia arranged in case go well, the date did not!

Sure you are that to listen in on their date they want you?

3:43 PM  
Blogger Professor Xavier said...

That would be rather forward thinking of Gaia. I don't think she's quite that devious though.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Gaia said...

Of course! I like breaking my own leg!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Jardena said...

I loved Spamalot.

And don't you hate it when your enemies can't take a night off?

It sounded like the date was going well. Though perhaps your school should have a class on how to act in non-mutant situations, like eating out, picking up dry cleaning, buying normal clothes, going to the hair dresser, things like that

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters