Sunday, October 23, 2005

With the Brood Queen and her off-spring thoroughly routed, I was looking forward to a long hot bath and a night of relaxation. Unfortunately it was not to be.

The mansion was in dire need of repairs as was the headquarters of the X-Hibitionists, but everyone insisted in going out for a victory party. The Dazzler invited us all for a special show at her nightclub. I was rather exhausted after my face-to-face run in with the Brood Queen, but after I politely refused I was swarmed by a large number of X-Men who dragged me out against my will. Unfortunately my mental powers are still being dampened by a strange ray from Asteroid X, so I was unable to get them to leave me along by making them all think they were toads or some such creature.

I'm not much of a dancer anymore. Of course. But back in the day I used to be a regular Fred Astaire. I was quite the swinger. Now I don't have much use for dance clubs. None the less, they all ignored my protestations and took me to the newly re-opened, and now slightly damaged, Palladium in Manhattan where the Dazzler performs.

Despite all the bouncing, shouting crowds surrounding me, I have to admit, I didn't really have all that bad a time. Alison is really a tremendous singer. While I didn't recognize most of the music she performed, she did it magnificently.

Just about everyone was there, except for Wolverine and Nightcrawler, whom I heard Dazzler told to get lost after their boorish behavior the other night. I had sent the Beast along with Cyclops to accompany Jon, the Intergalactic Gladiator to investigate the mysterious Asteroid X.

It was strange not being able to eavesdrop on everyone with my telepathy. I had to keep track of them all visually. I saw Jean Grey and the Angel dancing together quite a bit. At one point they disappeared for about half an hour. Just as well Cyclops wasn't there. Rogue and Gambit got into a bit of a fight but then she absorbed his powers and made his staff explode. That brought a round of applause from the crowd.

I must confess, I did get rather caught up in the celebrations. What with the loud music, the free-flowing alcohol and, well, the rather tone bodies in motion, I let myself go a bit. I don't know if you noticed, but some of the X-Men don't wear a lot of clothes.

When I woke up this morning I couldn't remember how I had gotten home last night. Next to my bed though was a long black leather boot. Where on Earth could that have come from?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi and Hey Prof. Xavier,

I'm proud to be the progenitor of a world-class cultural creative.

It is cutting edge cool that you can simply add color to a word and make it into a hotlink.

Your blog is proliferating like a happily fecund sun and rain blessed flowering and fruiting plant.

You quit your regular 9-5 work at the County, right? This has become your full time gig, has it not? And righteously so. I'm a proud papa.

You captured the way going to the old Palladium utb. It's a lot like Studio 54 inisde, both old rococo theatres. It's on the south side of 14th, isn't it, east of Union square, near the corner of 4th Ave., south of Max's Kansas City. Have I got the right place?

(Is Max's still around -- it was sort of situated on its Park Avenue South block like CBGB's was on its Bowery block . Can you please get me a CBGB's T-shirt for Xmas -- large -- I'll front the $$$. I'm wearing my USC Football Tee right now. How about the Xmen amd Xmas -- anything?).

The Chicago 7 Jerry Rubin used to host monthly gatherings of incipient entrepreneurs at the Palladium. He famously turned from a ruthlessly ambitious radical political leader to a ruthlessly ambitious businessman. Then he got killed in a tragic but appropriate way.

Predict: Will the anti-Iraq war crowd be successful the way the anti-Vietnam war movement was?

I'm looking for a good synonym for the word movement to apply to UN reform.

It could be bad behavior for someone to piggyback on your blog -- esp. a family member. Don't be shy about giving me a blast if that shoe fits on my foot.

This's stream of consciousness. A literary critic once said that was the way Hemingway wrote. I once met Mr. H -- we were on the ferry from Dover to Calais.

This writing kinda comes from you since you said not to overthink it.

Prof., you put the reader right into that exciting vibrating nightclub scene.

Your life is gaining color and texture.

That's what would naturally have eventuated if I've guessed right about your severing your tenure with the County.

My Army project is coming along.

Out.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

A long black boot? That could be almost anybody's.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Someone is going around wearing just one boot!

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters