Saturday, October 07, 2006

"You know, Professor, I do have other things to do than ferry you around the galaxy," Blink said, her voice tinged with an unmistakable sprig of irritation.

"Oh really? Like making goo-goo eyes at that Sabertooth from the Age of Apocalypse planet?"

I could see her recoil. "W-what?"

Perhaps I went too far. "Sorry. I didn't mean that. I suppose I'm still on edge from all the excitement of the last few weeks."

"You're date didn't go well, huh?" she asked in an almost gloating way.

"Actually I had a wonderful time with Erifia. At least when crazed homicidal bounty hunters weren't shooting missiles at us."

"You mean there's a price on your head?" Now I saw dollar signs lighting up in her eyes.

The thing about Blink is, she's not from our world. She's a mutant from a parallel Earth. Her counterpart here on our planet died awhile ago. While she does seem to be an ally, there is also something rather . . practical about her. I could feel the wheels turning her mind.

"You aren't thinking of collecting, are you?" I asked, half joking.

"You're the telepath. You tell me."

We both smiled at each other in that plasticky way that people who don't quite trust each other do. If I told her who had put the bounty there is definitely a chance, say 10%, that she would have teleported us right there, instead of back to the school. 20%.

As it is, we arrived safe and sound back in Westchester. The rest of her Exiles team was down in the dining hall enjoying a hot meal. I must say, everything seemed very peaceful and quiet. Just the way I like it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nepharia said...

Oh, Xavier. You know it never stays that quiet around you for long. Don't let your guard down.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

If you see a till in their thoughts, start to worry.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

You like things peaceful and quiet? You seem to be in the wrong business.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Darth Inferna said...

I'd have collected, if I was Blink.

12:26 AM  
Blogger concerned citizen said...

professor; What are you looking for in a woman, anyway?
Superhuman powers? That Figures!
You seem a tad bit selfish to me.
You come around whenever YOU feel like it. & You claim to be able to read our minds. You are the quintessential male chauvinist.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Professor Xavier said...

Well I'd hate to break any stereotypes.

And I'll have to remember that Inferna, in case we ever go out.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters