Thursday, April 13, 2006

"What do you mean Cheap Trick isn't available?" I asked the booking agent. "They're suppose to be here in two hours!"

"Hey, I'm sorry Mr. Exaver, their Yugo got a flat and they can't come up with the dough for a tow. But there's another talent that just came on the market last night around 9:30 who can be there in two hours."

"And who's that?" I asked skeptically.

"Bucky Covington."

"Never heard of him."

"The kids love him. Trust me. Besides, what choice do you have? Heh, heh."

What a weasel. Well, it was too late to argue. I still had to finish setting up for the party. I had decided to throw a victory celebration for my X-Men who have been working so hard the last few weeks dealing with all the various crises that have arisen.

By the time Bucky arrived and started singing, the main ballroom was already packed with people. They were dancing and talking and generally having a good time. I waved to Magdalena and she came over to my side and gave me a warm hug.

"This was a wonderful idea, Charles!" she said. "Oh look, there's Vampirella."

We went over her to say hello. Vampi put on a bright smile but she seemed rather sad. I was about to ask where Trunks was, but then thought better of it.

"It's so good to see you, darling," she said as she bent over and gave me a quick bite on my neck.

"And how is you pregnancy coming?" I asked.

"Oh, everything seems fairly normal at this -"

A loud crash nearby made us all turn. Vegeta climbed up from the middle of the now ruined table and brushed off spilled crackers and dip.

"That was a cheap shot Wolverine!" he shouted.

Weird green energy glowed all around his body and he leapt at Logan. The two went flying across the hall and smashed into something else that made a strange crunching sound. I think it was Colossus.

"That's odd," Maggie said to Vampi. "I thought Vegeta was in another dimension with Dr. Strange?"

"He must have come back for the party," Vampi suggested.

Another loud sound, this time a sharp slap followed by an 'ouch', made us turn in the other direction. Private Hudson was rubbing his reddened cheek.

"If you all ever touch mah butt again I am gonna knock you into tomorrah!" Rogue shouted.

"Hey doll, I just wanted to say hi. I heard you absorb people's memories by touching their bare skin, so I was just making sure I touched you somewhere you had clothes. That's all."

"There's no safe place for you to touch me, creep!"

At that Rogue turned on her heel and stomped off. Hudson stood there looking hurt for a moment until Psylocke walked past. His eyes lit up and he trotted after her.

I reached out telepathically and contacted Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator's mind. He was sharing a bowl of cheese dip with the Stepford Cuckoos and Kitty Pryde.

"Aren't you responsible for Hudson?" I asked him.

"Oh no! I'm just the designated driver. If I need a broom and ice chest to take the pieces home, that's fine with me."

I was about to ask him why he was drinking a Rolling Rock if he was the designated driver when Wolverine zoomed over our heads and crashed through a large picture window. Just then Gaia walked in through the outer door and waved her hand. The window re-formed out of the thin air.

"Gaia! I'm so glad to see you up and around," I told her.

She came over and gave me a hug, too, though she seemed a bit distant.

"Are you feeling alright?" I asked.

"Oh, I feel all better thanks. It's just, well . . I have some thinking to do. Maybe we can talk later?"

"Of course, my dear. Whenever you like."

I was about to tell her that Cable had been looking for her when Emma Frost and the Scarlet Witch walked in. I went over to say hello.

"Is that thing gone from the basement yet?" Emma asked.

"Actually I don't - wait, there's Hank. Over there with Storm." I waved them over and asked Hank if there was any development with his patients.

"Well the spurious Jean remains deep in her vegetative state. The extra Emma however has changed into . . " At that he waved his hand at Storm, who was looking rather meek and confused, not at all her usual regal self.

"What?" asked Wanda. "How can that be?"

"I have no idea," Hank answered.

"This should be simple enough."

Wanda raised her arms and spoke in some language I did not recognize. Strange multi-colored lights sparkled from her fingertips and slowly descended onto Storm. Her dark brown skin shimmered in the eerie lights. Once the last of the glow faded, Storm remained, completely unchanged as far as I could tell.

"Hmm, that's odd. This appears to be her true form," Wanda told us.

"Well as long as she's not me then it's really not my problem," Emma said as she lead Wanda into the crowd. I turned to watch as she hooked her arm in Warren's and the two started dancing. Wanda smiled at Kurt and they joined them.

I was about to ask Maggie if she wanted to take a spin on my lap when Vegeta hurtled past us, slamming hard into the wall. Wolverine came running up to him, claws drawn. Blood was dripping down his cheek.

"Logan!" I shouted. "This is a party. We are suppose to be unwinding!"

Vegeta walked up to his side, rubbing his chin. "This is how we unwind," Logan explained with a half smile. Vegeta whacked him in the back of his head and Wolverine hit the ground hard. I just shook my head and scooped up Maggie onto my lap. I set the chair to turn to the beat and we joined the dancers.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jedi Healer said...

I'm sorry that I missed the party.

Hearing about this one reminding me of one that took place at the temple some time ago.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Jardena said...

Maybe some sunglasses would make her look better...

Hmm, entertainment from an American Idol reject, good times. As for Cheap Trick and the out of gas Yugo *trying hard not to laugh* perhaps it was all for the best.

Congrats on your success, and *raises glass* here is to many more to come, Cheers!

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for inviting me :) Sorry my visit was so short it didnt seem that Maggie liked my master too much

4:34 AM  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Man, and I really wanted to see Cheap Trick, too.

Howcome everyone just assumes that I'm in charge of Hudson? What's up with that?

8:49 AM  
Blogger Bulma said...

Sorry about my idiot husband I'll pay for any damages

2:24 PM  
Blogger Wolverine said...

Has anyone let Bucky out of that closet me and Havok locked him in? I't not the same one Gambit's hidin' in Seriously though I think he may be runnin' out 'o air.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Rogue can get very uptight!

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have email

3:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was a very goodnight, Charles. Though I do detest Mr. Covington. He seems better suited for a KFC restaurant if you ask me. Besides that it was a very fruitful evening. And might I say that Warren is quite the dancer.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters