Wednesday, November 16, 2005

This morning I set about the task of assembling the team to lead the assault on the Shadow King in the Astral Plane. As you may be aware, that fiend has been causing no end of problems for both my X-Men and Scarlet Witch's new team, the X-Hibitionists.

Selecting the right team is a very important and often overlooked, or at least rushed, process. An efficient team must be well-balanced. This means there must be members who can fill the need of great physical strength, stealth, flight, long range attack, melee and of course, perhaps the most important of all, leadership.

The original leader of the X-Men was Cyclops. He turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. I didn't really have much choice when I appointed him though. I mean, look what my options were. There was a superficial ladies-man playboy millionaire, a bounding nerdy bookworm who made every effort to fill the role of comic relief, an immature young boy, and a girl. Obviously I had to choose Cyclops. I had hoped he would eventually grow into the job. Rise to the station, as it were. Ah well.

In retrospect, I probably should have made Jean Grey the leader back then. But I was a product of my times and it never occurred to me to let a girl lead. Eventually I chose Storm to take over the X-Men. We have all seen how that turned out. She is unreliable, at least until this affair with the Shadow King is resolved. I suppose I shall have to assume leadership of this mission myself. At least on the Astral Plane I won't be hampered with my wheelchair.

The only real misgiving that I have about this mission is that I am forced to take Magneto along with me. I don't trust him to remain unsupervised back at the mansion. But because I don't trust him, I don't want to go on a combat mission with him. I went downstairs to the kitchen to see if I could talk him into leaving for Avalon to rejoin his Brotherhood before we took off. I found him deep in conversation with Emma Frost.

"The thing that I just don't understand about Pyro," Magneto was saying, "is how on Earth anyone can extol the Nazis."

"Would you please give it a rest already?" Emma said with exasperation. "The only thing that I hate more than Nazis is people who won't stop talking about Nazis. Yes, it was terrible. Move on."

"How can you possibly say that?" Magneto demanded, ire in his voice. "The Nazi movement and all that came out of it, World War II, the Holocaust, they were events of such magnitude that they had huge destructive impact on the lives of millions and millions of people."

"There have been other tragedies in the world, you know," Emma said.

"You - you have no idea what you are talking about," Magneto replied, standing to his feet. Without another word he turned away and stormed off. Obviously, this would have been a bad moment to confront him. I suppose I will be stuck with him when we enter the Astral Plane.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Are Wolverine and Colosus going? They could Fastball Special the Shadow King, because like you said, they do every time. Look it's the Juggernaut, time for the Fastball Special! Here comes the Blob, give 'im the Fastball Special. We need to pick up the pizza now, time for a Fastball Special!

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Eric. The dear is stuck in one frame of thought. At least I tried to tell him to move on. But the dear just blew me off. That man needs some serious help. Perhaps I shall just have to erase the whole event from his fickle mind when that silly helmet is off his head.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Professor Xavier said...

I agree. Evil people always seem so intense. As far as Magneto's helmet goes, I think he has had it stapled on.

And it just wouldn't be the X-Men without Wolverine and Colossus performing their fast-ball special. I cannot see into the future, but somehow I have a feeling that we will be seeing that maneuver soon.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

The Astral Plane? Do you have to check in at least two hours before at the airport?

Be sure to see my Enterprise party invite to find our how you can join.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Deadpool said...

Coolio Professor, enjoying catching up on your adventuers. I was once on the Astral Plane with Cable, not fun.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Gaia said...

Although Emma has a good point, Magneto has every right to say what he does. To have experienced such a horrendous thing as the Holocaust would be unimaginable for most. It would have left both emotional and physical scarring and would not(and should not) be easily forgotten.
The past hurts and we must learn to overlook, but some things can never be forgotten.

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters