Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Kitty and I had a rather uneventful drive down to the Vault in Virginia. That's the federal super-powered-being detention center in Virginia where Magneto is currently being held. We stopped off at an Arby's just on the Jersey side of I-95. I had the Big Montana with Curly Fries and Kitty had a Santa Fe salad. Normally I prefer Wendy's just because their French Fries are truly superior, but I was in the mood for roast beef. Kitty wanted to go through the drive-thru, but after having Burger King switch my Diet Coke with a Diet Sprite a few weeks ago, I am never going to invite that particular disaster again.

Now fully energized, we continued on our drive to the prison. Why didn't we take the X-Jet? For one, I really don't like flying. For another, Kitty can barely drive a car let alone a supersonic turbo jet plane. Though she does have a drive's license, something that would suggest she had some minimal ability to drive a car safely, the fact is, she is a speed demon and has a tough time staying within one lane of traffic. I can't tell you how many fellow travelers gave us the finger on our trip. It wasn't pleasant.

When we arrived at the Vault, I did a quick telepathic scan of the nearby guards and was able to determine the location of Magneto. I then turned to Kitty and briefed her on her task.

"Kitty, I want you to use your phase ability to travel beneath the surface of the ground. I will guide your path by reading the minds of the guards around you, seeing through their eyes."

"Um, aren't you coming?" she asked.

After a polite chuckle, I said, "Now Kitty, how long have you been at the mansion? Have you ever seen me go on a mission? The whole reason why I have the X-Men is to do these little assignments for me. I am the leader. That means I coordinate from a safe distant. Didn't you learn anything in school about historical military tactics?"

"Well, yes, but . ."

"No buts. Get going."

"But there's no back-up. What happens if I get hurt?" she asked.

"Kitty, we fall down so that we can learn to get back up again. This will be a good experience for you. Character building. Now go already."

She finally left. I watched her fade down into the ground. She moved easily below the surface traveling under the prison. When she was beneath Magneto's cell, I had her rise up through the wall. She moved out into the hall in front of his door and materialized. A small control panel was set into the wall next to his cell. I scanned the mind of one of the guards and feed her the combination. As she reached up to enter it, a figure rounded a corner appearing in the hallway with her. A short green young man. Leech.

"Hi Kitty," he called out with a wave. Several armed guards appeared behind him.

"Leech! Oh no!" she called out. As she turned to run out of the range of his mutant powers dampening ability, several more guards appeared behind her, energy weapons pointed right at her.

"Orders, sir?" one said into his communication headgear.

"Terminate the mutie scum," came a dark voice. At that, the guards fired on her.


- To Be Continued

5 Comments:

Blogger Vegeta said...

Huh the way kitty Talked to you was reminds me of the way my kids talk to me. No father I can't train. I have a datewith this really hot girl.says my son. my daughter says No papa I don't wanna be a super saiyan It will mess up my perm. Says my daughter.
But what happens when an invading Alien comes Tghey are the first to be kncked out and then wonder why. kids!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

"We fall down so that we can learn to get back up again."

Where have I heard that before? Hmmm.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Captain Berk said...

You should fit your chair with rockets boosters or a teleportation device so that you can go in there and save her.

Either that, or 'pimp your ride' (as they say on earth) with some 23inch wheels and a 'phat' soundsystem.

That'll help you get over the loss of your co-worker.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Master Yoda said...

Maybe help save Kitty, Oven Mitt can.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

'To be Continued'....those three words that make us squirm in these stories on tv.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters