Monday, November 07, 2005

Yesterday I had a visit from Mystique, disguised as Jean Grey, and Storm, claiming to be possessed by Exodus. They were basically trying to extort my services to rescue their leader, Magneto, from Federal prison. Normally I would never give in to such strong-arm tactics but the truth is, I like having Magneto at large.

Eric serves two important functions in my life. One, he keeps my X-Men on their toes. They need epic battles or they will just fade into obscurity. Would Hercules have won a palace on Olympus if he hadn't performed his 12 labors? Of course not. He wouldn't be Hercules, Prince of Power. He'd be Hercules the Goat Herder who none of us would ever have heard of.

Magneto also justifies my role in society. If there weren't forces resisting the peaceful co-existence of mutants and humans, then I would have no use. I might as well be calling for the adoption of the metric system. Since there are forces resisting peace, I have something useful to do with my day.

Rescuing Magneto does therefore serve my own ends, so I am willing to go along with Mystique and Exodus' demands. But I don't believe for a minute Exodus' claim that he has been behind all of Storm's recent violent, anti-social behavior. I just don't buy it. He's a telepath. Very powerful, yes, but he doesn't have the ability to possess people. And I would have been able to detect his presence earlier if it had been him. I think he was just taking advantage of the situation to try and force me to liberate Magneto.

I have been investigating different possibilities to explain Storm's recent actions, but haven't been able to reach any definite conclusions. The most recent advice I had on how to resolve this issue may help me feel better at night, but doesn't really get to the heart of the problem.

Fortunately, Gaia has taken a rather large team consisting of both X-Men and X-Hibitionists to the Astral Plain to confront the most likely culprit - the Shadow King!

Gaia has taken Cyclops with her as part of her team. Normally when I leave the mansion I take Scott with me. I find it useful to have a human shield, um, that is a gopher, er, no, I mean . . assistant, traveling with me. Since Gaia needed Scott however, I have decided to take Kitty Pryde along. She doesn't get out much and I haven't really had the chance to talk to her about the . . issues . . involving Nightcrawler. The statute of limitations on her possible legal action against me haven't run yet.

As Kitty and I packed up for our trip to break Magneto out of the maximum security detention facility specifically designed to house super-powered beings, I couldn't help but wonder why on Earth I wasn't sending someone else.

4 Comments:

Blogger Vegeta said...

Wait Mags is the only one Challenge The X-men? What are Apocalypse , and Sinister on vacation? if they really need a fight Unleash Onslaught. Or I could just beat up Wolverine in some bar or something.

1:10 AM  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

dark Magician has a very good point. try to make sure she wears her Shadowcat costume, not her Sprite one, though.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Magneto must get broken out of jail more than anyone else.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Professor Xavier said...

I do have full confidence in Kitty's abilities. She may not be a team powerhouse or ever likely to spearhead an assault, but she can certainly survive physical assaults.

As far as other villains go, of course there will always be more, but Magneto does hold a special place in the X-Men rogue gallery. He was one of the first and has been one of our most consistant opponents. He also has a philosophy that leaves others pale in comparision. I mean, 'survival of the fittest', what's that? Of course the fittest survive. You don't really need to promote that.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters