Sunday, August 28, 2005

Just when I think I've finally gotten a moment to myself to actually get some real work done, some "crisis" amoung my students never fails to intrude upon my peace. The latest was Jean and Scott seeking my aid to mediate in their relationship difficulties.

"Professor, do you have a moment?" Jean asked as she came into my office closely followed by Cyclops. Neither waited for a response before taking seats before my desk. "Scott is just being ridiculous and I want you to set him straight," she said.

"Now Jean, I . ." I started to say, but was quickly cut off by Scott.

"That's crazy! You're the one who's acting all psycho!" he shouted.

"Please!" Jean moaned, rolling her eyes. "All your damn whining about my new costume. You're acting like my father!"

"What are you talking about?" he demanded. "I think your new outfit is the greatest thing in the world."

Jean stared at him blankly for a moment and then cast a suspicious look in my direction. I gave her a feeble smile and a slight shrug. She didn't need to use her telepathetic abilites to know that I had previously implanted Scott's favorable impression of her new costume in his mind.

"Whatever," she responded. "You are still acting like a silly little boy about Logan. I like him, so what? You have no right to tell me what I can and can't do."

"Are you nuts?" he shot back in confusion. "I'm the one who suggested you two go to Atlantic City, aren't I? I'm not jealous. I trust you."

Jean immediately looked over at me this time. I nodded sheepishly. As a rule I avoid altering someone's memories, but it's been so hard for me to get any peace lately.

"Well, you're still being unreasonable about me and Warren."

"The Angel!" Scott spat in a sudden fury. "I saw that bastard coming on to you in the garden . . and you kissed him!" Scott jumped up and started to reach for his visor control, apparently getting ready to fire a powerful optic blast at Jean.

"Scott!" I yelled, trying to regain some control over my environment. "Stop being so fo
olish." Cyclops hesitated for a moment but then did sit. That was a relief. "You know Warren has been having a difficult time of it since he made People magazine's worst dressed list. I don't know whose idea that red and yellow costume was, but it's best for all that he retired it. Jean was just trying to comfort him."

"With her tongue?!" Scott yelled, pointing an accusing finger at her.

"You're an asshole!" Jean yelled back at him.

I could see this wasn't going anywhere and I had to get back to my work. Using my awesome mental powers I altered Scott's memories so that he thought Jean's comforting of the Angel had been his suggestion. Telepathically I let Jean know what I was doing. Fortunately for me, she agreed with my plan.

"So Jean, do you want to go White Castle and get some burgers?" Scott asked her, in a suprisingly pleasant voice.

"Actually Scott, I'm planning to, um, comfort Warren tonight," she answered.

"Oh, that sounds like a good idea," he smiled back.

As they both left my office all I could do was shake my head and softly sigh. Hopefully the rest of the day will pass peacefully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters