Thursday, August 31, 2006

"What's wrong, Chuck?" Jon asked as he piloted the Danger Sled back to Earth, our first contact mission with the leviathan accomplished.

"I am not able to make a telepathic connection with anyone back home."

"Could it be a side-effect of Sargon's warp hole?"

"No, those types of physical distortions usually don't effect my psionic abilites."

"That thing with Gaia?"

"I doubt it. I'm sure the X-Men have taken care of it by now. But do hurry though. Just in case."

"You worried about Maggie, huh?"

"Yes, yes I am."

"You really care for her?"

"I do. In fact I'm planning to take a very large step when I see her. Queen Galacta had asked what boon I would like as a reward for my services. Normally, being a hero, I refuse any offered reward, of course. But this time I didn't. I asked for a precious jeweled ring. She gave me this."


"Wow. So that means . . "

I couldn't help the smile from dancing across my lips. "Yes, I'm planning to ask her to marry me."

"You old dog," Jon laughed. "But what about her bosses. I thought they looked down on marriage."

"She's not a priest."

"Yeah, but she's like their designated ass-kicker. They probably don't want her loyalties divided."

"The Church may not like it, but I don't see how they could stop us."

The ship hurried through space at unimaginable speeds. Soon we were approaching Earth. I still couldn't make telepathic contact with anyone.

"That's strange," Jon said. "There's some kind of weird distortion around the whole planet. I can't get any readings."

"Take us down at my school please, in Westchester."

As the ship descended through the strange dark clouds, a wave of warm luminescent energy rippled through us. A sense of peaceful calm filled the whole ship. Suddenly I could hear thousands of minds around me. Each and everyone of them seemed happy and cheerful. The dark clouds quickly disappaited.

The ship landed and we exited. I looked out over the school grounds and everything was exactly as I remembered it. Cyclops came running up to me and gave me a big hug. He was weeping with joy.

"Now now, Scott," I said to him. "I haven't been gone that long."

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

email from Maggie:
sent: 27th, Aug...


Charles,

Something has happened. We need to talk. It is urgent and should be done face to faceā€¦
I do not think this should be discussed in an email so I will not say more.

Maggie

4:45 PM  
Blogger Professor Xavier said...

Exactly what I was thinking. I too have something urgent to discuss with you my dear. Actually, something I urgently want to ask you.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Gaia said...

I'm right here Professor.
:-)

5:01 PM  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Professor, I've seen plenty of rejection in my day (er, my friends getting rejected, naturally) to tell you that email is bad news.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Oh dear, Professor, did sounds like that ring might be on it's way back to the jewelers.

12:58 PM  
Blogger TX said...

...

1:01 PM  
Blogger Private Hudson said...

If i ran around in a metal bra all day, would you give me the ring?

Er, I mean, I don't want to marry you or anything, I'm a man's man, I just wanted to hock it so I can get some bitchin' mudflaps for my APC.

1:54 PM  
Blogger concerned citizen said...

Another episode of "As The stomach Churns"

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters