Sunday, March 12, 2006

I awoke in a blissful haze, Maggie at my side. The last few days that we have spent together since our return from outer space have been a totally unexpected pleasure. It's kind of funny how your life can suddenly take a left turn and you find yourself somewhere you did not expect to be again.

I have been involved in only a few serious relationships in my life. One of them, the biggest obviously, would have to be doomed marriage to Moira. We had much in common but in the end I just couldn't stand her cold hearted shrewish non-stop nagging. Not that I'm bitter. I am totally over her. I just get so mad whenever I think about how small-minded and petty . . no, no . . that isn't right. I have let go. I'm certainly not going to let that failure sour me on what good be the best thing in my life.

There is certainly something infectuous in the air at this time of year. Perhaps it is that Spring is just around the corner, the season of new life and rebirth. Love is everywhere. Gaia and Cable seem to be passing through a new point in their friendship. I had a feeling those two might hit it off. They both have rather unusual backrounds. Cable is from an alternate future ravaged by war. He was a fighter and a leader and now he's here. A man out of time. Though he does have family here, he only met them very recently. Likewise Gaia has been alone for many centuries, guarding the universe against a terrible menace. She has found friends in the X-Men but also is a person out of place. Sharing this common emotion, it is only logical that they might find kindred spirits in each other.

Just as I have with Maggie. As we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast, two representatives of the Church, Maggie's employers, arrived at the mansion. I was a bit surprised that they had made the trip out from the city. Obviously whatever they wanted must be important. I agreed to meet with them.

Father Hope, a rather kindly gentleman, explained that if I wished to continue seeing Magdalena I would have to journey to Rome and undergo a very important test. Normally I don't respond very well to these kinds of ultimatums, but I recognized that Maggie had a rather unique position in this world, being a direct descendant of the Mary Magdalen and a powerful warrior in the service of the Church.

As it was explained to me, the test is not a right of passage kind of thing, but rather a preparatory trial for an inevitable battle in my future. Apparently there are dark forces arrayed against Maggie and they will send some kind of terrible enemy to try and destroy me. Having faced many a foe in my life, I am not concerned.

For the trip to Rome, I chose Nightcrawler and Wolverine to accompany Maggie and I. Cyclops came up to me as we were leaving.

"Why do they get to go?" he asked in his whiney nasal voice. "I'm, you know, you're right hand guy!"

"Of course you are Scott. But going to see the Pope is something special for Kurt. And Logan, well, I'm contractually obligated to include him on each and every mission involving a mutant. Sorry."

The poor boy seemed like he was on the verge of tears. Sigh.

"Besides, Scott," I continued, "I have a very important mission for you while I'm gone."

"Really?" he asked, brightening up.

"Yes. I want you to make sure the X-Jet is thoroughly scrubbed from top to bottom. Oh, and Scott?"

"Yes?"

"I want you to use two coats of wax. It's crucial."

Scott's face broke into a broad grin. "I won't disappoint you, Professor."

What a putz.


6 Comments:

Blogger Deadpool said...

You should send Cyke to look for his five other children and siblings that would keep him busy for awhile.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Son Goku said...

I hope the test is open book, and multiple choice.

12:35 AM  
Blogger Magdalena said...

This should be interesting

8:20 AM  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

At least after he washes and polishes the jet, it will be more fuel efficient.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Jawa Juice said...

Man, who knew Scott was such an easy mark? Remind me to sell him used scrap metal.

And does that thing you’re sitting in have a foot massager in it? I can install one cheep.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Captain Berk said...

He's a bit like a puppy that you can repeatedly mistreat, yet it still comes back for more.

Maybe you'll have to fight Jesus or something.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters